Wednesday, March 10, 2010

More Cash Than A Rudd Bonus

I read today that one of the local schools is selling off surplus land to help develop the school further. Interesting to see if this results in other schools doing a simlar thing. This sort of development has occurred elsewhere within the council where factories have been bulldozed to make way for new residential development.

It is an interesting note that the school will be able to sell the school and keep the proceeds. I do not expect other schools to do the same unless they have excess surplus land as Thornbury High does. Normally such sales would result in funds going to general revenue (i.e. lost).

It is sad to think that the funds from previous school sales were not fed directly back to other local schools to help them develop.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

Hmph.
'Surplus' land won't be surplus for long at the rate most schools are extending to accomodate a bajillion students (and rezone the area back into industrial for these education factories).
I homeschool,ergo I know exactly where my education money goes :P

dam buster said...

Jayne it really does suck as well that almost all public high schools in my area already zoned. I still cannot fathom why the chose to close the Coburg High School.

A lot of parents I talk to say they have little choice but to hope they can get in somewhere suitable or go private.

Anonymous said...

First of all I would like to say fantastic blog!
I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear
your head before writing. I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.
I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15
minutes are generally wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin.

Any ideas or hints? Many thanks!

My blog :: bankruptcy attorney florida