Wednesday, May 13, 2009

WTF 27 - On the Nose

Hmm I wondered what happened to that Tuna sandwich...

AP | May 13, 2009 - 1:50PM

An office worker cleaning a fridge full of rotten food created a smell so noxious that it sent seven co-workers to the hospital and made many others ill.

Firefighters had to evacuate the AT&T building in downtown San Jose on Tuesday after the fumes led someone to call emergency services. A hazardous materials team was called in.

What crews found was an unplugged refrigerator crammed with mouldy food.

Authorities say an enterprising office worker had decided to clean it out, placing the food in a conference room while using two cleaning chemicals to scrub down the mess.

The mixture of old lunches and disinfectant caused 28 people to need treatment for vomiting and nausea.

Authorities say the worker who cleaned the fridge didn't need treatment - she can't smell because of allergies.AP


Frisky Librarian said...

I contemplated sending this story around the office but I think I've probably already pushed it a bit far with my sarcastic passive agressive emails about the state of the kitchen and fridge.

dam buster said...

FL - That bad hey?
It must have been one hell of a stink to make that many people vomit!

Frisky Librarian said...

I know! And the woman doing the cleaning apparently wasn't affected because she couldn't smell it due to allergies. Never thought allergies could be your best friend.

dam buster said...

Now that is awesome. She will have the job of cleaning the fridges from now on!

'Iron nose' should be her nicname!

Jayne said...

I just love the fact that it wasn't an actual bacteria that made them ill, just the smell.
So....I'm guessing none of them have changed a nappy after an explosive bout of gastro?

Jayne - copy the story and anonymously stick it on the fridge door, the tea room door, the wall, the back of the toilet door... they'll get the message ;)

dam buster said...

Jayne - Nice one.

Still it must have been a real stink to make 28 vomit and put 7 into hospital!

Jayne said...

Meh, they're just big girls' blouses :P